WHO ARE WE?
Mediawatch UK is an independent organisation working for a safer media.
The Children and Families Media Education Trust (trading as Mediawatch UK) is a Company Limited by Guarantee Registered in England No. 7719477. Registered Charity No. 1145460 SC043513.
Our address is:
3 Willow House
Phone: 01233 633936
Writing to us at the above address
YOUR PERSONAL DATA AND HOW WE PROCESS IT
In running Mediawatch UK effectively and offering you information, services and news that we will think be of interest to you, we may collect and process personal information. We will only ever collect the information we need – including data to help improve our services – or which you agree we can collect.
Your privacy is important to us and we confirm that we will never share your personal details to any third party for their mailing or marketing purposes.
Personal data is any information that can be used to identify you. For example, it can include information such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, mobile telephone number, bank account details, credit/debit card details, and whether you are a taxpayer so that we can claim Gift Aid on any donations you may make. It also includes Internet Protocol (IP) addresses (the location of the computer on the internet), details of pages visited on our websites and files downloaded.
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
Information that you give us directly
We collect this information in connection with specific activities, for example, when you use our websites or printed forms or telephone our offices to:
• Make a donation to us
• Become a Mediawatch UK member
• Request resources
• Engage with our social media
• Sign up for our email updates and newsletters
• Complete a survey, questionnaire or feedback form or otherwise provide us with personal information.
Please note: You don’t have to disclose any of this information to browse our websites. However, if you choose to withhold requested information, we may not be able to provide you with certain services.
Information that you give us indirectly
Information that we collect from your use of our website
Website usage information is collected using cookies. This helps us to see how many people use our websites, how many people visit on a regular basis, and how popular individual pages are. Cookies are also essential to our websites running correctly and delivering goods and services to users.
We may collect information about your computer, including but not limited to (where available), your IP address, operating system and browser type for administration purposes and to produce internal reports.
Information from third parties
From time to time we may receive information about you from third parties, for example from a friend who wants to send you information, or make a donation in your name. If we receive information about you from third parties, we will provide you with details of how we received it as soon as possible thereafter.
Information from public sources
We may combine information you provide to us with information available from public sources or records in order to gain a better understanding of our supporters and those who engage with us. This helps us to improve our fundraising methods, resources and programmes. Such information may be found in places such as Companies House and information that has been published online and in print.
Sensitive or special categories of data
We do not collect sensitive personal information about you unless there is a clear or legal requirement to do so. If we ever need to collect this type of information, we will make it clear to you what we are collecting and why, and what are our legitimate interests or other legal grounds for processing this information.
If you are under 16 and want to bet involved with MWUK, please make sure you have your parent or carer’s permission before giving us your personal information. We will let you know why we are processing your information and how it will be used.
HOW DO WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
• To process membership subscriptions and renewal reminders
• To process any donation(s) we may receive from you, to claim Gift Aid on these donations and to update you on how your donations are being used
• To process requests for literature and information
• To set up standing orders
• To provide you with information that you have requested about our work or our activities
• To provide you with information about other resources, events or programmes we offer that are similar to those you have enquired about and to which you have not objected to receiving
• To communicate with supporters
• To record the contact that we have with you
• To provide you with information about Mediawatch UK and how you can support our work (where you have consented to receiving this information as applicable)
• To invite you to participate in surveys or research
• For administration purposes, e.g. we may contact you about a donation you have made
• For internal record keeping, such as the management of feedback or complaints
• To notify you about changes to our services
• To analyse and improve the services we offer
• To analyse the use of our website and ensure their content is presented in the most effective manner for you and your device
• To further our legitimate charitable aims such as sending you information about how donations are being used
You can choose at any time which materials you want to receive from Mediawatch UK and in which format. If there is something you would prefer not to receive, please email email@example.com, or call us on 01233 633936.
Links to other websites
Our website contains links to other websites belonging to third parties and we sometimes choose to participate in social networking websites including, but not limited to, Facebook and Twitter.
Do we sell or share personal information?
We never sell or share your personal information with other organisations to use for their own purposes.
On occasions we may use a trusted external printing house and mailing house to print, assemble and send our postal mailings. If you have subscribed to postal mailings, we will share your contact information via a secure method with these suppliers in order to fulfil your mailing request. We will ensure that your data is only stored and retained by them as long as necessary to complete the mailing task.
WHAT LEGAL BASIS DO WE USE FOR PROCESSING PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We use a number of lawful bases depending on the particular type of data being processed and the purpose.
We use contractual and legal obligation as a basis for processing employee and volunteer data, as well as for handling membership subscriptions, Gift Aid reporting and any other legally-required processing task.
We rely on legitimate interests for a variety of purposes. Legitimate interest is about balancing the interests of Mediawatch UK against your rights and freedoms, and having due regard to your reasonable expectations about the use of your data. These purposes may include:
• Mailing you information about related resources and events that you might be interested in, given your previous engagement with Mediawatch UK mailing other information about MWUK such as our annual report
• Thanking (either by mail or telephone) those who have made a financial gift
• Undertaking research to tailor our financial requests
We also rely on the lawful basis of legitimate interests to share with you the fundraising needs of the charity and to ask for your support, given your previous engagement with Mediawatch UK. You can let us know at any time if you would prefer not to receive these communications.
We use consent to send email updates to our non-members. These should always give a clear opportunity for you to opt out of/unsubscribe from future email updates.
HOW DO WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA?
We are committed to holding your personal information securely. Only MWUK staff, and trustees, and volunteers that need to see the data can access it.
We may store your information on computers, in paper form, or both.
All computers that store any personal data are password protected.
Any paper files that hold personal information (other than names and contact details) are kept on secure premises in locked cupboards and filing cabinets.
TRANSFERRING YOUR DATA OUTSIDE OF EUROPE
HOW LONG DO WE KEEP YOUR DATA?
The length of time we keep your data depends on the purpose for which it was processed.
We will only keep information as long as is necessary for the purposes for which you provided it or we obtained it, or as long as is required by law. It will be minimised to ensure we only keep what is necessary.
We will ensure that any information required to be deleted is done so securely.
The General Data Protection Regulation gives you certain rights over your data and how Mediawatch UK uses it. These are as follows:
• The right to be informed
• The right of access
• The right to rectification
• The right to erasure
• The right to restrict processing
• The right to data portability
• The right to object
• Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling
The availability of certain rights may depend on the legal basis used for processing your data.
You can find out more about your rights by visiting the website of the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk
If you wish to assert any of your rights please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01233 633936.
IF YOU’RE UNHAPPY
If you are unhappy about the way we have handled your personal information, or wish to raise a concern about something we’ve done or omitted to do, then do get in touch and let us know. Receiving your feedback helps us improve our systems and do better as an organisation.
If you would like to make a formal complaint to a supervisory body about data protection then you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk.